Blond Amsterdam is a Dutch brand that designs tableware with colorful and humorous comic-strip like graphics. Here is more about the brand, its founders and the highly recognizable products they create…
Femque van Geffen and Janneke Droge were friends in Amsterdam who first collaborated on design projects (mostly commissioned pottery items) in 2001. But it wasn’t until 6 years later, in 2007, that the Blond Amsterdam brand really took shape. They made the jump to a formal design studio/showroom and introduced the first Blond Amsterdam collection, ‘Blah! blah! blah!’. The porcelain tableware products within the collection all include bright yellow striping and polka dots against a pale pink background motif, along with colorful cartoon graphics with fun slogans.
Because the pink and yellow designs are still identified with the brand, the collection still lives on to this day. But over the past decade, Blond Amsterdam has introduced numerous other collections…
BLOND AMSTERDAM COLLECTIONS
- The ‘Delfts Blond’ collection features the well-known blue and white colors that characterize traditional Delft Blue pottery, but the graphics are light-hearted and fun.
- The ‘Made with Magic’ collection has a party theme, with all the designs including a unicorn.
- The ‘BBQ’ collection features images of hot dogs, hamburgers, barbeque utensils and people eating.
- The ‘Blondelicious’ collection is an ode to the 1950’s and features designs in pastel colors.
- The ‘Blond City’ collection shows well-known landmarks and foods associated with a certain city, like London, New York, Paris, Brussels, Rome and, of course, Amsterdam.
- The ‘Fairy Tale’ collection was designed in partnership with the Dutch fairy tale-theme amusement park, Efteling.
As the business has grown, the brand has expanded into other product categories including bedding, placemats, napkins, vases, shopping bags, phone cases and even T-shirts. The brand’s unique styling can be translated into a plethora of possibilities so we’re likely to see far more product categories in the future. For now, the designers are content with the business growth they have already achieved, which includes the opening of their first Amsterdam coffee shop called ‘Cafe Blond‘ in the De Pijp neighborhood.
How popular is the Blond Amsterdam brand? One can tell by visiting top Dutch department stores or largest internet retailers in the Netherlands. They all carry Blond Amsterdam tableware.
BLOND AMSTERDAM PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
A/B – From the ‘Blond City’ collection, New York City 22-cm breakfast plate (€7.95 Wehkamp), Amsterdam city coffee mug (€8.95 BOL)
C/D/E/F/L/M – From the ‘Even Bijkletsen’ (Even Neighborhoods) collection, 31-cm serving plate (€39.95 Hudson’s Bay), large coffee mug (€9.95 Hudson’s Bay), sugar bowl (€8.95 BOL), cookie storage box (€12.95 BOL), 20-cm vase (€29.95 Hudson’s Bay), salt and pepper shakers (€14.95 Hudson’s Bay)
G – From the ‘Blond Specials’ collection, 14 cm travel mug (€12.95 BOL)
H/I/J – From the ‘Delfts Blond’ collection, 10-cm coffee mug (€8.95 BOL), 140×240-cm tablecloth (€19.95 BOL), single size cotton duvet cover (€49.95 BOL)
K – From the ‘Pink Stuff’ collection, Dutch birthday calendar (€8.99 BOL)
N – From ‘Pet Accessories’ collection, small dog food bowl (€14.95 Wehkamp)
O – From the ‘BBQ’ collection, 32×38-cm serving plate (€34.95 Wehkamp)